Here’s a quick and easy DIY toy to make today: Paper Helicopters! They are a wonderful and easy engineering project for kids!
This post contains affiliate links to products I love and recommend to my readers!
Here’s how to make these fun little guys:
NOTE: This post was originally published using visual guide ONLY. A printable paper helicopter template is included in our Paper Toys Play Pack along with 6 other paper toy templates.
- Construction paper or card stock
- Paper clips
- Guide see below OR get a PRINTABLE TEMPLATE in our PAPER TOYS PLAY PACK.
Guide: At first I was a little concerned that most of the templates I found for paper helicopters did not include measurements. Then we started experimenting with making them different sizes and the fun really began. We actually found that the bigger they were the better they flew. A 2″ by 8″ piece of paper was just right. Here are the proportions we used, you can increase or decrease them as desired. Cut along all solid lines. Fold along dotted lines as shown in the next steps. You may want to lightly score the dotted lines to make folding easier.
- Step One Cut your paper and draw guide.
- Step Two Fold section D along long dotted line
- Step Three Fold Section C along long dotted line
- Step Four Fold Section A along dotted line towards you
- Step Five Fold Section B along dotted line away from you
- Step Six Fold bottom edge of section C/D towards you
- Step Seven Tape folded end of C/D I couldn’t resist adding a little flair with some decorative tape.
- Step Eight Add a paper clip to the taped end
You’re done! Take them outside and throw them like you would throw a ball or paper airplane. They should spin like a helicopter to the ground! If you have a two story space you can also drop them down and watch them spin.
My kids enjoyed playing with them but once I got my camera out my son got into all the “action” shots I was taking. You really don’t need to throw them that hard!
Don’t forget to try making them in different sizes; that’s part of the fun!
If you like paper toys, hop over and see our PAPER TOYS PLAY PACK.
And don’t miss out on more DIY toys for kids here on Babble Dabble Do! Subscribe below or like us on FB!
Spread creativity like wildfire: PIN THIS!