We’ve been making a LOT of DIY Halloween Decorations in recent years and I wanted to round them up for y’all in one simple, easy to reference place. Plus I’ve got a few other fabulous ditties from around the web!
First things first let’s make sure you are in the right place….
Do either of the following sentences describe you?
- You are a creative type of person desperate for alternatives to all the blood and guts Halloween decorations out there on store shelves.
- You are design snob with a closeted love of kitsch that you can only unleash during the holidays when it’s “acceptable.”
Or maybe like me you are a bit of both? Then these projects should be right up your alley. As a self-proclaimed Design Geek these projects are all perfect ways to celebrate the Halloween season in my book.
This post contains affiliate links to products.
7 DIY Halloween Decorations from BDD
2. Try your hand at a few paint dripped POLLOCK PUMPKINS for an artsy twist on Halloween decor.
3. Small world lovers unite! Make a TERROR-ARIUM out of a large recycled jar. Got a blacklight? Then you can make it glow too.
4. If you are a toy geek you will surely want to make a few MUTANT TOYS using old toy parts. You will feel just like Dr. Frankenstein!
5. And if miniature villages are your thing try making these inexpensive HAUNTED MINI MANSIONS using $1 wood birdhouses and clay.
6. Try making a SPIDER WREATH. I never posted about this lovely project but here’s what you need: A foam wreath form, black string, pins, and a plastic spider. Wrap your wreath with the black string and secure the string using pins as needed on the back. When you’re done place a plastic spider in the middle. Easy breezy!
7. We made DIY CREEPY SPIDERS a couple years ago. They are perfect for all those webs you’ll be hanging and oh-so-easy to make.
6 More Halloween Design Faves
from top left:
8. This SKULL STRING ART is not easy to make but you will have it forever. How amazing is this project from A Beautiful Mess?
9. Paper crafts are always a designer fave, print out your very own PAPER HAUNTED FOREST from Willowday.
10. These GLOW IN THE DARK PUMPKINS are FREAKY. As in FREAKY COOL. These would make me think twice about knocking on your door for tricks or treats….Get the directions on Steve Spangler Science.
11. For all you true design snobs Minieco has you in mind. These HALLOWEEN SHADOW PUPPETS are both lovely, playful, and graphically cool, as in graphic design, not blood and guts.
12. Add a little unexpected detailing to paper goods or wearables with some easy SKULL EMBROIDERY! I love this idea from Tiny Rotten Peanuts.
13. There are too many amazing pumpkin ideas on the web for this designer to handle. So I chose this one to share: SHARPIE DOODLE PUMPKINS from Two Thirty-Five Designs. Can you say gorgeous doodle pumpkin art five time fast?
I hope your design snobbery doesn’t prevent you from decorating for Halloween. Alternatively if you’ve been suppressing that inner nerd all year, now is the time to UNLEASH THE GEEK! Either way it’s always fun to celebrate Halloween with a little design geekery style.
Don’t miss out on more holiday projects for kids here on Babble Dabble Do! Subscribe below or like us on FB!