Today we are making an easy faux stained glass craft for kids. These look lovely in a window and ours is still in our window ONE YEAR LATER!
In college I took a stained glass class and the process is not easy and is definitely off limits to young children, sharp glass edges you say? But as I was perusing my fave go-to art book The Best of Making Things I stumbled across this simple, easy suggestion for a stained glass craft for kids (or as my husband said, “Is this a craft for the kids or for you?”)
This project can be pulled together in no time; the only exotic ingredient is India Ink, an art material that is good to have on hand for any number of fun art projects!
This post contains affiliate links.
Faux Stained Glass Craft
- India Ink
- Cooking Oil
- Paper Towels
- Step One Starting with a blank sheet of paper, paint a design using India Ink. You can either try to make it look like a stained glass pattern or as my son decided to do, draw whatever suits your fancy.
- Step Two When the ink is dry, color the drawing with crayons or oil pastels. I tried both and always prefer the vibrancy of oil pastels.
- Step Three Turn your paper over and brush the entire back surface with an oil soaked paper towel. You’re done!
Using a trick I learned from The Artful Parent, hang your paper in the window using oil as your adhesive. The oil sticks to the window and the paper, no tape necessary. And since your paper is already soaked with oil, this works perfectly.
My son is obsessed with all things Minecraft, so his versions of this project all contain Minecraft characters. His kindergarten teacher this year suggested that one way to get him interested in homework or projects is to tailor assignments to his interests. For this one I told him, “We’re making Minecraft stained glass!” He loved the idea. Whatever works, right?
Anyone else have a Minecraft obsessed 6 year old out there? I think my next round up will be for “Mine-Crafts”!
If you enjoyed this post check out a few more stained glass crafts with pretty results:
- Stained Glass Panels from The Artful Parent
- Window Art Project from What Do We Do All Day?
- Geometric Window Art by Creative Jewish Mom
If you enjoyed this post SHARE IT! Thanks!