The best puzzles for kids tap into their problem solving skills and help them develop logical reasoning. But let’s be honest, no kid ever asks for a jigsaw puzzle or a brain teaser on their holiday list…at least not yet! Check out these 10 irresistible, best puzzles for kids, from classic jigsaw puzzles to 3D brain teaser games!
This post contains affiliate links.
Are you a puzzle family? If you relish sitting around the table and letting your brain go into relaxed concentration mode then this post is for you! Ever since I played with my first Rubik’s Cube (yes, way back in the 80’s) I have been a fan of brain teasers and puzzles. I loved the sometimes solitary, sometimes community, hours spent working out a visual challenge.
As a parent I’ve also noticed how much my kids enjoy puzzles and brain teasers. When my kids were younger we had these lovely puzzles in a box that were perfect for little fingers to put together. I loved sitting quietly together as my kids completed them.
Now my kids are older and much more tech driven but I still make sure to break out a puzzle now and then and bring along brain teaser games on family road trips instead of iPads. So if you are looking to diversify your child’s play to include some quiet activity time, then you need more puzzles in your family’s life!
The best puzzles for kids help children develop the following:
- Problem solving skills
- Fine motor skills
- Logical reasoning
- Patience Kids can all use more of this!
- Concentration and memory
And if you think your kids will NEVER play with these, start a jigsaw puzzle yourself and leave it out where they can stumble upon it….or leave that brain teaser out on the dining room table…you just might find it played with when you’re not looking! And if you struggle to get your kids off screens ( I know I do) then try modeling. Whenever I tackle a giant puzzle my kids get interested in what I’m doing and stop to help me for awhile. It’s a puzzle bonus: Connecting with your kids over a quiet activity.
10 Puzzles Your Kids Don’t Want
i.e. The Best Puzzles for Kids
This list of the best puzzles for kids includes classic jigsaw puzzles and brain teaser 3D puzzle games.
- Melissa and Doug Floor Puzzles Ages 3+
- GeoMagic Mosaics Ages 3+
- Eeboo 100 Piece Puzzles Ages 5+
- Double Sided Puzzle Ages 6+
- Glow in the Dark Puzzle Ages 6+
- Shape by Shape Game Ages 7+ similar to Tangrams!
- Harry Potter Puzzles Collection Ages 7+
- Kanoodle Ages 7+
- Rubix Cube Ages 8+
- Cat Stax Ages 8+
The Best Puzzle Makers
Jigsaw Puzzle Makers
- EeBoo Their puzzles are gorgeous! For adults be sure to check their 1000 piece puzzles!
- MudPuppy My new favorite puzzle maker! They have double sided puzzles (why has it taken so long for someone to think of that?) and awesome glow in the dark puzzles.
- Ravensburger Ravensburger has been making educational toys and games since the 1880s! They have gorgeous collections of puzzles for kids and adults and also sell the world’s largest puzzles including this 40,320 piece Disney puzzle.
- Melissa & Doug If you have littles at home this is your puzzle maker! Melissa and Doug make the best puzzles for kids ages 1-5 and they even have sets for older kids. Their floor puzzles are some of our family’s favorites.
Brain Teaser Puzzle Makers
- Think Fun Think Fun is one of our fave toy manufactures because ever year they debut a new awesome brain teaser family game. Rush Hour is one of our favorites along with Gravity Maze!
- Fat Brain Toys This company makes some of the best educational toys on the market and is one of my go-to resources when I need a new game or puzzle for our family!
- Brainwright Brainwright makes compact brain teaser toys perfect for taking on the road when traveling!
More of the best puzzles for kids
To see more puzzles we recommend on Amazon check out this Ideas List
More of our Top 10 Gift Lists!
Get your kids to put down the screens for minute with more games and toys they will love: