Here’s another DIY toy idea to keep the kiddos occupied during the long winter break Zappy Zoomers! They are a fun flying toy you can make and fly within the hour, plus they sneak in a little aerodynamic science lesson….
Let me just start with the fact that prying my son away from away from video games this first week of winter break has been a challenge…..I managed to convince him to do this project with me the other day and despite some taping frustration he was happily occupied for an hour or so. Mission accomplished! This was also a great opportunity to work with my new Kid Made Modern tape purchased at Target. Their printed tape was perfect for dressing up our Zappy Zoomers!
This project is courtesy my fave book The Usborne Big Book of Science Things to Make and Do, where would I be without this book?
DIY TOY: Zappy Zoomers
- Card stock
- Bendy Straws
- Scotch Tape and/or Decorative Tape
- Hot Glue
- Step One Cut card stock. For each Zoomer you will need (1) 1″ x 9 1/2″ piece and (1) 1″ x 5″ piece of card stock
- Step Two Tape the card stock into a circle
- Step Three Cut your straws just below the bend or approximately 5 1/2″ long
- Step Four Tape your straws to the inside edge of the big circle. They should be taped roughly at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions
- Step Five Tape the upper end of the straws onto the outer edge of the small circle in the same 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions.
- Step Six If you are using decorative tape add it now! I taped everything including the straws.
- Step Seven Hot glue the straws to the card stock. I found that after several zooms and crashes the straws started to come un-taped; adding a little hot glue to hold everything in place makes for a more sturdy toy.
- Step Eight Fly ’em!
Since we live in LA we were able to go outside and fly these, even in the middle of December. With so many disappointing paper airplane flights in our past (they do take a bit of finesse to make fly right) the kids were happy to discover they could easily fly their Zappy Zoomers high and far!
Like flying Happy Zoomers? Here are 40+ more DIY Toys to make with your kids!
Are you passionate about raising creative kids?
Join over 22,179 parents and educators who want connect with kids and nurture their creative process through magical, easy projects you can do TOGETHER.
Subscribe to our email list to receive project ideas as well as offers for some our creative products.