Okay so this is a project that was a little beyond my skill set…..But I completed it albeit having taken out quite a few seams and learning how to adjust the tension on my machine several times….This is a Christmas present for my niece, yes you can do a double take since it is mid-January but ahem…I’m behind……
I bought this fabric back in October in downtown LA and have been mulling over the best project for it. When I received One Yard Wonders for Christmas this year and perused the bag patterns I finally found a match! This is the Folklore Bag. I loved the subtle round bottom edge to the upper trim and thought it would be a great compliment to my other niece’s bag the City Tote.
This bag uses interfacing and I have to say that interfacing really complicates things. It obviously makes for a super sturdy bag but it really makes things harder to sew, especially for beginners.
The pattern and instructions were easy enough to follow except when it came to attaching the bottom strip to the sides. I really couldn’t picture attaching a straight strip of fabric to the two very rounded sides…..I attached it wrong and even clipped the round edges in the wrong place the first time. Ugh! I took out the seams and started again and luckily the seam allowance hid my mistake.
Sewing through interfacing, thick fabric, and on the tough curves was the biggest challenge. My lining did get a little bunched up in one place but I don’t think it’s noticeable since it’s thankfully on the inside of the bag.
And I have to admit I skipped the pocket. I was ironing the pieces with my iron off (smooth move) and I when I hit the steam button it basically soaked the poor pocket pieces. Hmmmmmmmm do I wait for them to dry or move on…..I moved on.
And about the tension. At one point while sewing, the fabric and interfacing got really bunched up and the bobbin case popped open. I fixed everything, started sewing again and the stitch was soooooo loose. I tried adjusting the upper tension and nothing happened. Panic struck! I haven’t taken any classes and I honestly don’t know my way around my machine that well. Finally I consulted my manual and learned how to adjust the tension on the bobbin by turning the itty bitty screw on the side of the bobbin case. Viola! Somehow when the fabric got tangled up in the bobbin case the tension screw must have gotten out of whack. Now I know!
The other stumbling block for me is conceptual. I still panic at the whole sew the bag inside out, leave a small section unsewn, and the turn the bag right side out through the opening. It makes sense after the fact but I always scratch my head when going through the instructions on that part…..
All in all I think I learned a lot from this project and despite being a bit on the difficult side I made it through. I would recommend this to a beginning/intermediate level sewist! Good Luck!