Making a DIY stomp rocket out of a juice pouch is one of our all-time student favorites! It’s a simple STEAM project that is always met with excitement, especially at launch time!
We have made these simple stomp rockets in various forms with kids of multiple ages. They are easy enough for young kids to make with some assistance and intriguing enough for older kids to want to experiment with. For this reason these rockets are the perfect multi-age group project for camps, classes, and families!
This post contains affiliate links
- Empty Capri Sun or other plastic juice container
- Flexible Drinking Straw You can get flexible paper straws here
- Colored Paper
- Glue Stick
- Washi Tape (optional)
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Make a simple stomp rocket out of a juice pouch!
- Prep the launcher
Snip off the end of the flexible straw so that it has a point. Remove the straw that came with the juice pouch.
- Place straw in juice pouch
Insert the pointed end of the straw into the straw hole of the empty juice bag. This will be your launcher.
- Make the rocket body
Cut a 3″ x 3″ piece of paper. Roll it over a pencil to make a paper tube.
- Complete the rocket body
Tape along the seam and remove the pencil from the tube.
- Make the fins
But three equal strips of paper (approximately 3/4″ wide x 2.5″ long). Glue two ends of two strips together.
- Add the rocket
Tape the rocket body to the two fins.
- Add the third fin
Glue the third fin to the flaps of the other two fins. Trim the ends at an angle.
- Seal the rocket top
Add a piece of tape to seal the top of the rocket
How to launch your rocket
- Inflate the juice pouch by blowing into the flexible straw.
- Place the straw rocket over the end of the juice pouch straw. Bend the flexible straw to aim the rocket up.
- Place the juice pouch/rocket on the ground.
- Stomp down on the juice pouch to launch the rocket up and into the air.
- Alternatively use your hand to press down on the push and launch the rocket
- Try to stomp on the juice pouch so that all the air escapes. This will launch the rocket far.
- After some use, the juice pouch straw may crack, making it harder for air to escape. Replace with a new straw if this happens.
- Sometimes the hole in the juice pouch gets bigger with use, allowing air to escape. If this happens, add tape over the hole then cut a new slit in the tape to get a better seal.