I was recently going through some images from Halloween’s past and rediscovered these Last Minute Halloween Costumes we made two years ago: BOX MONSTERS. I wasn’t blogging often then so they never made it here until now. And if you have a Minecrafter in your house you can make a similar Minecraft box head costume, scroll down for details.
Box Monsters are SUPER easy to make costumes you can absolutely throw together the night before Halloween. And please don’t tell me I’m the only parent who is up late on Oct. 30 putting together costumes for their kids……
This post contains affiliate links to products I love and recommend to my readers, plus it keeps this little blog o’mine afloat! Thank you!
Last Minute Halloween Costumes: Box Monsters
- Cardboard boxes
- X-ACTOKnife (Adults only)
Box Selection: The best boxes to use for this are boxes that are just a bit bigger than your child’s head. We had some long rectangular boxes we used for these monsters. I noticed recently that wipes boxes are the perfect size for this project too.
- Step One Trim off the bottom of the box and/or box flaps to make a mask sized head for your monster.
- Step Two Place the box on your child’s head and roughly pencil in the area where their head is located.
- Step Three Have your child draw a monster face in the designated head area. Make sure they draw in large areas for the eyes, nose, and mouth similar to drawing on a pumpkin.
- Step Four ADULTS ONLY Use your Exacto knife to cut out the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Step Five Have your child paint it! Be sure to have them paint in details like white teeth, scars, and more! Let dry.
You’re done! Pretty darn easy huh?
- In lieu of painting in details you can have your child collage the mask to create colors and forms.
- Add yarn for hair.
- Wear a solid color shirt and pant combo to complete the costume and highlight the monster head.
Make a Minecraft Version
Box head costumes are sold by Target and online but are adult sized. Make your own custom kid-sized version here! Keep in mind the box head above was made a year ago and has seen a LOT of use!
- Square cardboard box roughly the size of a child’s head
- X-ACTOKnife (Adults only)
- This app for Droids OR here on iTunes for Macs.
- Step One Use this app to generate a Minecraft printout of the character of your choice
- Step Two Email the PDF to yourself.
- Step Three Enlarge the head PDF print outs to match the size of your box.
- Step Four Print
- Step Five Cut out each side of the head and tape/glue them to all four sides of the mask plus the top.
- Step Six Cut out the eyes and place a see-though fabric such as burlap over the eyeholes from the inside of the mask
Done. Seriously I made this in an hour last Oct. 30. Phew!
If you are a procrastinating kinda parent, or maybe you have a child who can’t make up their costuming mind….then these last minute costumes will save you in a pinch! Plus they are an easy and fun mask project for kids to make, any time of the year.
If you like the way we celebrate Halloween then be sure to check out some of our recent Halloween posts:
And don’t miss out on more holiday fun here on Babble Dabble Do! Subscribe below or like us on FB!