The experiment is called Layered Liquids. The premise is simple, heavy liquids sink and lighter ones float, and you can magically “layer” them.
- Cookie sheets
- Cold water
- Food Coloring
- Kosher salt
- Place the jar in the middle of a cookie sheet.
- Pour some cold water into your jar and let the kiddos add some drops of food coloring.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of oil to the jar. Tip: I let the kids hold the spoon/measuring cup while I poured in the liquids
- Then add 1/4 cup or so of molasses to the jar
- Since I know salt adds a bubbly gooey element when mixed with oil I let the kids put spoonfuls of kosher salt into the jars. It briefly created some lava lamp like bubble magic then sank to the bottom to form a sticky molasses/salt concoction. No matter the kids liked adding the salt the best! Go figure!
- Let them experiment with stirring up the ingredients and watching them settle again.