If you have a few loose strands of yarn lying around turn them into something amazingly beautiful: Yarn Rope! This is a fun and simple craft for kids and adults alike and finished yarn rope can be used for all types of creative fabric projects or details. Plus there is truly a “Magic Step” that kids love to be a part of!
Yarn Rope is part of our You Tube series Creative Basics: Classic art and science projects and basic play recipes that every parent, educator and caregiver should have in their toolkit. You can see the previous episodes in the series here.
Yarn Craft: How to Make Yarn Rope
- Yarn Different colors and widths preferred
- Duct tape (optional)
Before you start
The finished length of yarn rope will be approximately half the length of the piece of yarn you start with. Keep this in mind when planning the length you will need for your project
- Step One Cut equal lengths of 6 stands of yarn.
- Step Two Tie ends of yarn in a knot.
- Step Three Tape or tie end to a secure location (a doorknob is perfect for this).
- Step Four Begin twisting. Be sure to gently pull on the yarn as you twist to keep it taut.
The Magic Step
Step Five Hold the end tightly. Place one finger on the midpoint. Fold the end back to the starting point. Let go!
- If your yarn rope is bumpy or over twisted after the Magic Step gently pull on it to straighten it out.
- Use lots of different colors and weights of yarn. The more variety of yarn the more colorful the finished rope will be.
- This is a great collaborative project fot kids of different ages. Older kids and adults can handle the twisting and young children can help with the Magic Step.
Things to make with Yarn Rope
- Plant hangers
What would you make?Conclusion
We are addicted to making yarn rope, at last I am! Yarn Rope is a colorful and intricate looking yarn craft that is surprisingly easy to make! It could be a wonderful alternative to woven friendship bracelets and takes a fraction of the time to create!
Want more CREATIVE BASICS?
Subscribe to our free newsletter and or our YOU TUBE channel to have all our videos delivered right to your inbox!
Spread Creativity like wildfire: SHARE THIS!